James M. Cone is Senior Team Leader for US Fixed Income and Foreign Exchange trading with Sun Trading LLC in Chicago. Prior to joining Sun Trading LLC, Mr. Cone was a Partner with Efficient Capital Management, a $2bil. institutional portfolio manager that focuses exclusively on alternative investment strategies that incorporate managed futures and foreign exchange. During the period of 2000 to 2011, Mr. Cone was a senior employee in a private family office that is recognized globally as one of the premier investors in alternative investment strategies with internal, exclusively-proprietary investment programs and additional separately managed external allocations. Mr. Cone received a BA in 1985 from Western Illinois University with an emphasis in Agricultural Economics – Commodity Markets Hedging and Trading. He currently holds a Series 3 license.
Mr. Cone’s talk will address the global proprietary trading community (Chicago, NY and London), and the current and future employment opportunities for graduates. He will discuss the following:
• How does the proprietary trading industry differ from other areas in the financial industry?
• Firm expectations of new graduates.
• What skills/background does one end up using?
• What other qualifications are beneficial?
• Recommended external reading and research areas.
• How can graduating students make themselves more marketable post-graduation?